So how did we get to this point of seeing a flaming fascist and racist running for President?
“In the beginning”, thirty-five to forty years ago, the Republicans staged a real-life, genuine revolution in the United States. It was not a revolution that used the typical accoutrements of war such as bullets, bombs and tanks. No, it was a revolution waged using spreadsheets, money and the power of the oligarchy class and the banks they own. The first bombshell launched was to change the nation’s tax codes and laws. The second bombshell was to set up an entirely new international infrastructure of banking that would profoundly shift the world’s wealth (all of it) to the top 1% while, at the same time, destroying sovereign power of the people in many nations (not just ours), and thus was the origin of the European Union (I’ll save that for a later article).
At the beginning of the Republican Revolution, in 1971, “a manifesto of the rich”, also known as a “call to arms” written by Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell began to circulate in the halls of government and the boardrooms of corporate. Powell knew that, in order to make this Republican Revolution work, the rich and powerful needed to re-invent society as a whole. To do that, they needed to take over the media, change education (both grade school and college), and most important, to change the nation’s laws in order to achieve the ultimate goal of having corporations run the country, not the people and, all the while, having the public’s acceptance of the changes slowly taking place.
Meanwhile, as this was happening, for nearly 40 years, our nation’s leaders, with the help of the corporate world, were experimenting in other countries with a new form of authority that would eventually be called “neo-liberalism” or Libertarianism. Nearly every country in South and Central America experienced one type of coup or another, all orchestrated by the United States. The point? To experiment with Libertarianism. Has it worked anywhere? No, but that doesn’t stop them from trying, which is one of the reasons our nation invaded Iraq—to experiment with Libertarianism (a.k.a. fascism or corporate rule instead of government rule) one more time. If it had worked in Iraq, that would have been a nice, shiny gold star in Bush’s cap (in the micro), and in the Republican’s cap (in the macro). As we know, it didn’t work—yet again.
And now, here we are in 2016, and we can see all around us what 35+ years of the Republican Revolution and the rise of corporate rule has done to this country. It has resulted in a nation that looks as if it’s been ravaged by a war—just drive through any small town. The government has nearly lost control, companies have either closed or outsourced to some other country and well-paying jobs went the way of the dinosaur, and wages for nearly all Americans have been flat for 35 years as corporations and the rich made off like bandits using their new tax laws and endless government subsidies.
The nation has suffered a great deal under the Republican Revolution and that has created the perfect environment for the rise of Trump.
The Final Bombshell. Trump is going to win the 2016 elections. One thing Republicans have taught us is, they know how to steal elections. Through voter ID laws, voter caging, gerrymandering of districts, creating meaningless wedge issues (hate gays, love guns) and funneling endless money into the elections process, they know how to swing the election their way. And, Trump has one more thing working in his favor—a lot of angry white people who have been screwed by the Republican Revolution. They are sick of the part-time, low-wage jobs and struggling to make ends meet.
‘Wait,’ you ask. ‘If Republicans screwed them, why would they vote Republican?’ I said they are angry, I didn’t say they are smart.
Anyway, back to Trump winning. If, during the night of the elections, it looks as if he’s going to lose, he already has Carl Rove, or someone similar, waiting in the wings to flip a switch on the Republican-owned, Republican-made electronic voting machines. He will win. Why? Because the new Billionaire Class wants one of their own in the White House. They’ve wanted that all along, since the founding of this nation. It’s a coup, plain and simple, using well-worn tactics they learned in Central and South America (AND Iraq of course).
And now, I’m going to look into my crystal ball and predict what the Trump presidency is going to look like. The following is a list of what is going to happen from 2017 to 2020:
1. Trump is sworn in January 2017. For the most part, it will appear ordinary and will adhere to ritual. Trump does nothing embarrassing and America says, “Hmm. Maybe this isn’t going to be so bad.” We nervously go back to our lives.
2. IT BEGINS. The first six to twelve months, now that Republicans control BOTH executive AND Congress, will be a blur of right-wing initiatives to de-regulate, privatize and sell off as much of government as they can do. Because big oil runs much of the show, the first thing they will address is climate change, but not by agreeing with 98% of the world's scientists who say human activity is causing it, BUT by removing all references to it from government websites and turning a blind eye to the subject. This will green light a flood of polluting, unaccountable activities for the fossil fuel industry. Expect the first year of Trump's Administration to be identical to states that elected right-wing governors--Kansas, Wisconsin, North Carolina, etc.
3. The media and the general public is ‘put on notice’. If they do anything to offend the President you will be shut out—or worse—no one understands what it means. Since the majority of main-stream media is owned by the billionaires, it is unlikely they will do anything risky. In fact, the media will begin to spread more fear and paranoia throughout the nation, most of it written and orchestrated by the Trump cabinet. This is when some media franchises (notably “leftist”) will be closed in various outlets--online, satellite, cable.
Expect the White House press corps to be the first to be shut out. This will begin on day one.
4. A large number (more than any other President) of executive orders are passed down strengthening the power of the President, de-regulating corporate abuses, de-regulating Wall Street, enlarging the use of the military and military prisons (more torture—lots of it), enlarging the use of domestic spying and green-lighting secret building programs. The treatment of minorities worsens. Police forces are given enormous budgets for military-style weapons (armored vehicles, assault weapons, grenades) and more officers (a lot more)—the words “police state” are used every day.
5. By the end of 2017 or early 2018, the ax finally drops. A major terrorist-style event happens somewhere inside the country as large or larger than 9/11 resulting in the deaths of several thousand—possibly five figures. Within hours, it is quickly and conveniently linked to Muslim/Islamic connections. Am I suggesting the event will be wholly invented by Trump? YES, but it will be impossible to prove (sound familiar?). Americans will scream for Trump to protect them.
6. Trump swiftly moves into action. Suddenly he is on the media practically 24/7. Within a week, he locks the country down under Marshall Law (which he claims is temporary) and a brand-new branch of the military suddenly appears on American streets—the Patriot Guard (see illustration at top of article), an expansion of the National Guard. Their job will be to enforce Marshall Law, patrol Muslim neighborhoods (they happen to be everywhere and nowhere at the same time) and, since the Posse Comitatus Act is no longer in effect, to act as BOTH military and police.
7. Congress is suspended and told to go home.
8. Everything is curtailed—all of it “to protect America” we are told. Travel will be difficult (but not impossible) and curfews will be everywhere. The internet still works, but is severely throttled and many sites are no longer available. The expansion of NSA deepens and we will routinely get messages piped on to our computers and phones to “watch what we say and send”—or else. Scores of people secretly working for the Administration will be happily spying on our online activities. After all, national security is at stake here. To that end, even more media outlets will be closed.
9. The recession finally bottoms out into the next Great Depression—terrorism and Hillary Clinton are blamed (seriously).
10. Rumors of concentration camps for Muslims and radicals flit across what is left of the internet, but can never be confirmed. Turns out to be true.
11. In answer to the latest terror catastrophe, a U.S. military Blitz Krieg, with the blessings of Israel and Saudi Arabia rolls across the Middle East to “wipe out terror once and for all”. It ignores sovereign borders and kills everything in its way. They might even use nuclear weapons. Christian extremists clap with joy because they think this is a sign that Jesus is coming to save them—crazy breeds more crazy.
12. Marshall Law is not lifted and continues on into 2019 and 2020—in fact, its restrictions grow even larger. During that time, Muslims are forced to announce their faith publicly through symbols on their clothing, perhaps tattoos and symbols on their businesses, many of which are destroyed and ransacked. Thousands of people are secretly taken to the new concentration camps.
13. In 2020, the elections are suspended “for national security” and many begin to suspect that America is no longer a democracy (well, Americans might be slow, but they eventually get it). The Trump regime rolls on into 2021 and America officially declares itself an Oligarchy—just like Russia or China.
14. The Blitz Krieg and the global depression ignite World War III in late 2020 or early 2021.
15. My crystal ball gets murky after this.
The future looks rather bleak with climate change and global fascism spreading far and wide.